Thursday, May 31, 2012

Unexpected, and pleasantly so :)

Ok - So I had this whole plan to post a blog about the month of May and all the great people we've met  and cool places we've been, but I just can't even type any of that right now. 

I'm currently sitting across from Patrick as he reads off name after name from our donor site of all the people who have chosen to support our Mercy Ships journey. I am so incredibly stunned right now. Like I literally can't stop smiling and crying here at our friendly neighborhood Starbucks... lol, I think I'm freaking people out. The list is long, and surprising! Made up of both close friends and family, and people we haven't seen in years. People we didn't even think to ask and people much more financially tight than we are. All of these beautiful people saying in one strong voice that they believe in what we're doing enough to give what they have to send us out. It's insanely humbling. 

The crazy part is that we are already halfway to our need being met, in less than a month! We had hoped for this kind of outflowing, but never did we anticipate where it would come from. Just when I think I know how things are going to come about, God has a way of taking my expectations and flipping them on their head. So instead of trying to guess the how, I think I ought to focus on expressing my thanks as best I can. Some gifts can feel too great; I often feel that by putting words to my thanks, the gift is somehow diminished. But there is freedom in calling a gift what it is, and not being ashamed to receive when a cause is just. That by naming it, by thanking the giver, the need is actually dignified, the receiver is free from indebtedness, and the giver in turn is blessed by the acknowledgement that the gift cannot be repaid. Nor should it, if I dare say so - which frees us to pass it on! Ok, enough of my ramblings on this for now, though I can't promise there won't be more in the future :)

So about that month of May!

We've had our heads down, working away like busy bees (on opposite shifts, might I add). But we've managed to sneak in a few fun excursions around Maryland. And to my surprise, I think I really like this state! It's incredibly green and lush in the interior, but also has these vast sandy beaches - NOT what I expected to find. Below are some snapshots of our last few weeks of adventures, enjoy!
First major league baseball game together!
Camden yard is awesome, let's go O's!
One of the special finds of my time at Johns Hopkins has been a gal named Jessica. She and her husband and two lovely puppy dogs treated us to a hike, east coast style!

The backseat crew on our way to Harper's Ferry
Along the Appalachian trail!
Our fearless leaders, Jessica and Ruddy!
She needed a dunk in a big way, panting girl!
Our latest adventure was a post-Labor day trip to the coast. This entailed a three hour drive from Baltimore over the Chesapeake Bay and to the very edge of this land. The weather was amazing, and the beach incredible! Our only regret is not packing the sunscreen, lol


Road trip to Ocean City!
Giddy kite-flyer :))
Strange wall of crazy
Our kite!
Soakin' up the Atlantic sun!
Next up: The much-anticipated west coast jaunt for the sister's wedding, I can hardly contain my excitement!!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love... the pics, the blog, the blessing God has provided both of you! The giddy kite-flyer is my favorite, and Emily looks especially cute driving her Jeep(?) with the top down/off!!
    Thanks for sharing guys!! Continued blessings & looking forward to seeing you at Michy's wedding next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete