Thursday, January 26, 2012

News

Hello. Patrick here for the first time. It seems Emily is much better at updating this blog... haha. At any rate, it's time I write something.

Work has been going great. I think I can say I'm slowly turning into a Cardiac/ED nurse at an amazing rate of speed. Nurses here have to draw their own labs and start their own IVs. I know this may sound like whining to the layperson, but know this, at our last hospital (Sacred Heart) we had a lab that did all the phlebotomy and an IV therapy team that did all the IV starts. So, coming from that environment into this one is quite challenging considering a lot of nursing skills are like muscles: If you don't use them you lose them. Let's just say getting a blood draw or an IV start the first time is a huge confidence booster these days. :) (I'm getting better every day)


I think we found a new small group at our new church, Frontline City Church...(praise the Lord) Emily and I are pretty stoked to make some new friends and form new relationships with these people. It seems they are really (that's an understatement) on fire for the Lord. The people that lead it are a married couple named Jeremiah and Teresa. I can't think of a couple I have met in such a long time that have so many irons in so many fires. Wow. I felt like I was at a "Group for the young and extremely capable" the other night. Honestly, everyone at this small group seemed to be doing something so much cooler than what I'm doing. Phew. Ok. Something to aspire to. It was actually really inspiring. One of the gals in the group started a writing company/blog that sends love letters out to random people that need it. They write hundreds of love letters a week (she has a team of writers) which are then sent out via anonymous requests. Pretty neat idea she came up with on a train in NYC. I guess one summer she started leaving love letters for people on subways and it turned into something much larger when other people started finding out about it.


In other news, we've been sampling some of Connecticut's historical wares. Yesterday we went to the Peabody Museum here in gun-wavin' New Haven. It was great, we both had a lot of fun. Turns out, that's where scientists have done an uber amount of research on dinosaurs and much of the museum is dedicated to them. The kid in me kinda went a little ADHD while we were there. It was the first time I've seen a actual T Rex skull! There was a complete skeleton of a Brachiosaurus!! So COOL! They also had the skeletons of just about every single animal featured in Disney's Ice Age. :) There was a portion of the museum dedicated to local wildlife and such too. That was neat to see. To top it all off they have a real life mummy! Wow. First time I've seen one of those things. Creepy. Good thing it didn't put a curse on Emily and I. We don't have any room for baggage like that.


Today we went to the Mark Twain house in Hartford. We learned afterward it actually belonged to Samuel Clemens. Wikipedia that for the humor. The house itself is a spectacle to see. The inside is so over-the-top Victorian era. Printed everything and super dark interiors with no light. Kept making me wanna take a nap. A fireplace in every room yet each room had like 3 windows. Money, money, money. Funny thing though, he went totally bankrupt later in life through a series of bad investments. Lots of houses from those days were built to trick others. All the rooms on the 1st floor (the floors your neighbors come and see at parties and dinners) are extremely lavish while the upstairs (the rooms nobody sees 'cept you) are kinda sparse and drab. A lot different from today's home, although some of that reasoning is still breathing in some parts of the wealthy world. Boy could a person have a screaming party in that joint.

It was a joy and treat to see where Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, the Prince and the Pauper, a Yankee in King Arthur's Court, etc came from.

More to come. And if you haven't - I suggest you check out my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/PatrickwMcHenry ; Boom

Till next time...





Love,
Patrick and Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment